Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What I lernt today

I’m starting a new segment to my blog where I’ll post from time to time something new I learned. I can’t promise that it’ll be insightful, useful or even interesting but if you haven’t figured it out yet; I’m keeping this blog for me not you, so there.


Today I found out what would happen if I were able to dig a hole to the other side of the Earth. This has nothing to do with Chinese take out either. Let’s just suspend belief a little and say I have a hole from one end of the Earth to the other big enough for me to jump into and there’s no molten center that would burn me to a crisp or that the rotation of the Earth would bounce me off the sides of the hole as I fell down thru it. 12 minutes into my free fall I would be half way to the center at a speed of about 12,000 MPH, as I get near the center, Earths atmosphere is half of what it is on the surface allowing me to reach a speed of nearly 20,000 MPH as I pass the center point or the core of Earth. As I begin to reach the other side I begin to slow down and when I reach the opening at the other end I will stop. But unless there is something to catch me I’ll begin to fall in the other direction and will continue to sling shot back and forth forever. Trippy ain’t it.



No comments: