Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sunday in DC

Today was a beautiful day to take my life into my hands and hop on 95 North to DC. I got a little later start than I wanted but at 9am traffic was behaving so good time was made and I was in the District and parked in an hour and a half but I know the return trip will more than bring back the time gains made on this trip up. I also got lucky with parking on Independence and 14th street which with a u-turn from this spot and a quick left would put me strait on 495 and the return mad dash to Richmond.
First up I got the bike dialed in and the backpack full of tasty treats and found my bearings then headed to “the mall” where I started to look for the ING Direct Washington Crit Race. I was told that it was to be held on a course around the Capitol building but as I rode it became clear to me that it was someplace else, so as I was looking around and planning my next move I conveniently rolled up on a DC cop sitting in his cruiser and ask if he’d heard anything about where it might be. He was nice enough to call into dispatch and informed me that it was next Sunday at 8am. I took this as being true since I didn’t look on line to be sure about the race, time or location and caulked it up as miss information given to me by a guy who was in the race. Should have bet on the racer because after excepting the cops answer and riding around to see the sites then stopping off at the White House to once again tell George W. Bush to go fuck himself I found the race as I was heading back to the car with 15 laps to go, which is the best part of the race anyway. But before I found the race I was able to take in all that DC has to offer.
I love riding around the memorials and monuments seeing all the different people and hearing languages from all over this small world. They have come to this city to see where democracy began and where a government peaceably changes hands when the people of this country so decide. I hope we get it right this time. Also citizens of this city come out to play among the statues and grand buildings, everything from football to foutbal, softball to kickball, running, riding and ultimate Frisbee. I sat and had my lunch while watching a competitive game of Ultimate and during their water break was asked if I’d like to join in, “thanks but it’s been 12 years since I’ve played and although I still have skills I just know I’ll blow out a knee.” They knew just the scenario as we’ve all seen it happen to someone while “cutting for the disc.”


As I got up to be on my way I looked down to find this; after all these years someone is still pissed off at Jane Fonda enough to make a patch and update the insult.


Next up was a visit to the White House to see my favorite dysfunctional first family and say hello to the lady across the street who for 28 years has been telling it like it is. I’ve seen her for many of those years and finally took the time to talk to her and put some cash in her hand. A true dedication to peace and nonviolent change, she told me how this administration has been the worst yet to her and how she often gets arrested. She’s our own American Ghandi.




One place I like to ride to is the park at the end of the Regan National Airport runway where, depending on the wind, planes are either taking off or landing. Great thing about this airport is that air traffic controllers refuse to include the name Regan when calling in air traffic; it’s referred to only as “National.” (that was a Cliff Claven moment)

No comments: